Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Responsibilities of a Talk Show Host

As a consumer advocate, talk show host I have a responsibility to my listening audience as well as my sponsors. I believe in the 1st admendment but many of us have abuse the 1st amendment and we us it to satisfy our own agenda against our neighbors.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Written in 1791, the 1st admendment was written to give every American citizen the right to address their government without fear of reprisal. The meaning was not for each neighbor to slander or disrespect thier fellow neighbor. As a host of a talk show I have the right to redress my government but I do not have the right to disrespect my neighbor in a public forum.

Rush Limbaugh, prehaps the most listened to and highest paid talk show host in America, simply does not understand this or the 1st amendment. His continued rant against his national neighbor last week was completely disrespectful and slanderous. However, I do not completely blame Rush for his behavior. The millions of listeners who give credence to this man and his disrespectful tongue as well as the sponsors who clamor for your spending power and give credence to this man and his disrespectful tongue are partly the blame. What is Rush's responsibility in all of this? He has none or at least he does not think he has any responsibility. He feels he can and will say what he wants without taking responsibility.

On his show today, he made the sponsors who decided not to support him anymore the culprits. According to CNN.com, Rush stated, "I'm sorry to see them go. They have profited handsomely from you. These advertisers who have split the scene have done very well from their access to you, my audience on this program. That's a business decision and it's theirs alone to make. They've decided they don't want you or your business anymore."

The American consumer made this jugernaut and only the American consumer can unmake this jugernaut. Sure, as American Citizens we have the consititutional right to say what we want but is it right to say it? Let me know your feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment